Thursday, August 17, 2017

Weycombe: A Novel of Suspence (ARC) - (England)

Started: Aug 6, 2017
Finished: Aug 17, 2017
Setting: England
Publication Date: Oct 8, 2017
Pages: 360
Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.

G. M. Malliet was a name that was unfamiliar to me, but may not be to scores of readers of mysteries. She first came to critical acclaim in 2008, when she was awarded the Agatha Award for Best New Novel for the first book in her "St. Just" mystery series.

So, why have I not heard of her before? I have no idea. But, when her latest novel was available via Net Galley I knew I had to give her a try.

For me, reading the book brought back memories of the many Agatha Christie books I read as a teenager. I loved Agatha Christie books, even though I was never, ever able to figure out who committed the murder.

This book is about Jillian, an American married to Will, a member of the British aristocracy. They live in the quaint English village of Weycombe. Normally, Weycombe is a quiet village, where nothing of consequence happens. But, as the novel opens we learn that there has been a murder. Anna, the local real estate agent has been murder, and Jillian is the one who discovered her body. From that point on, the story unfolds as told by Jillian, and what a story it is!

We go along with Jillian as she tries to uncover who murdered Anna, and her investigation allows us to meet some of Weycombe's  many residents. And all play a role in the story unfolding until we finally find out who killed Anna, and why.

And can I just tell you that while I figured out by page 94 who killed Anna, I was still blown away by the big reveal! I did not see the twist coming.

I look forward to reading other books by G. M. Malliet, which may be more in the "cozy mystery" line of books. This book is definitely not in that genre, but is a good read all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment