Sunday, August 13, 2017

Not the Booker List

I subscribe to a number of blogs and newsletters that are book-related. Most blogs
Source: http://przmmedia.com/blogs/
 provide reviews of books and/or news about books and authors. In large part I subscribe to them to be up-to-date about books that might interest me.

Imagine my surprise when I got the latest email from The Guardian newspaper regarding the "Not the Booker List." What?!?!?! I mean, I know what the Booker List is, but the "Not the Book List?" Clueless.

It seems that each year the U.K. newspaper The Guardian, develops its own list of books based on public input, and issues it to coincide with the prestigious and better known Man Booker prize.  Here's the 2017 long list - and I do mean long... there are over 150 books on the list. And I have to confess that a great number of the names are unfamiliar to me. I suspect that many of them are authors from England, or perhaps Australia or Canada, or some other country with a  historical connection to the U.K.

And the 5 books that made the short list are completely unknown to me. I'm not sure if that means I need to expand my exposure to include more U.K-ish authors, or what.

Still, it's always nice to see these types of lists, even if its just to get a feel for the types of books that (in this case many U.K. ) readers are interested in. No commentary on the authors, or the books themselves, just an observation.

Check out the list for yourself and comment on any that pique your curiosity. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment